Curriculum and Standards Summary
The curriculum we have developed for elementary school is intended to provide a comprehensive, well-rounded, and bilingual educational experience for Escuela Adelante students, both Nicaraguan and foreign. Our goal is to provide the best possible bilingual education that challenges all students to grow not only academically but also socially, emotionally, and artistically.
The standards describe what content and ideas students will learn in each subject. Our standards are adopted from a variety of sources, and the standards for each topic are based on standards from a particular source. Using a variety of sources allows us to design a bilingual curriculum in accordance with international standards to prepare our students for higher education opportunities anywhere in the world.
The following are the sources for the standards for each topic:
- Language and Literature (for native Spanish speakers): Ministry of Education, Nicaragua
- English Language Arts (for Native English Speakers): Ministry of Education, Ontario, Canada
- English as a Second Language: Colorado Department of Education
- Spanish as a Second Language: Colorado Department of Education
- Mathematics: Massachusetts Department of Education
- Science: Next Generation Science Standards
- Social Studies: National Council for Social Studies
- Art: National Coalition for Common Core Standards in the Arts
- Social/Emotional Learning: Rhode Island Department of Education